Animal print trend – introduced to the world in the 1960’s, will forever be a print that designers revisit time and again because of it’s ability to tap into our commonly-shared personality traits – a little naughtiness and our inner wanna-be rebel rouser.
The safest way to outwardly express the naughty in you and to avoid the always-probing eyes of the police and the exacting, bewildered expressions of men and women of all fashion and beauty levels if you don’t wear this trend the “right” way, is to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch or ease into this trend for the first time by following these simple rules:
1. Wear one single print like this Blush ‘Muse’ Teddy ($68, nowthatslingerie.com) and pair it with a basic wide-legged High-Waist Pleated Pants like these from Alice + Olivia ($297, shopbop.com) along with a matching cropped blazer and solid-colored heels. Just remember that a dash of print is all you need to strike the right balance.
2. Never wear animal prints from head-to-the and that includes your accessories.
3. Mixing prints is an absolute no-no! Lawd help us all if you miss the mark here!
Amerie got it right in this wrap dress which looks to be a leopard-inspired print, while Miss Kelly Rowland braves the red carpet at John Varvatos’s fashion show during New York Fashion Week Spring ‘12 in a matching leopard sheer blouse and pencil skirt paired with suede burgundy ankle boots. Does she ever ever get it wrong? Not lately as evidenced with her numerous mentions in this blog.
This continually reintroduced trend is always brought back on the scene with an elevated refinement isn’t one that everyone easily adopts into their wardrobes, but there’s still a way to incorporate animal prints into your makeup bag without feeling like you somehow missed the boat in this whole thing called fashion. Products like Twist & Pout Purr-fection Wild Thang Gem Clip Lip Balm ($12.50, dillards.com) is the perfect addition to your key chain for a couple of reasons…it’s cute rhinestone accents and it’s twist-open design which reveals a light, citrus-flavored sheer SPF 20 lipgloss.
If you have the overwhelming need to express yourself via a temporary tattoo on your lips of all places, then look to Violent Lips’s Temporary Lip Tattoos, Pink Leopard ($14.99, ulta.com – 8 shades) to satisfy that need. This little gem certainly pushes the envelope and is clearly a beauty product meant to be worn by only the most daring or maybe be worn and could be an interesting addition to your Halloween costume. The color and print stays on your lips for 4 to 8 hours and dries to a smooth and glossy finish.
Cheeky personality types might be drawn to Safari’s Luxe Chic Prints For Nails, Zebra/Leopard ($15, sephora.com) because they quickly transform your nails from everyday pretty to a few days of wildly spectacular! And when your fascination with your new nails has worn off, simply rub or peel off.
If you’re ready to try this trend or get it right for the next time, then make sure to adhere to HKI’s Rules of the Road and you’ll come away looking the chicest woman in the room. Not too shabby huh?
NOTE: Congratulations to Nicole Wilt, Ijeoma Eboh & Karen Madison who are 3 of the 4 winners of the Ultimate Beauty Junkie Giveaway! 4th winner is still pending verification.
Hue Knew It? I did.
- 3 Reasons To Love Carol’s Daughter Ultra-Conditioning Collection - March 23, 2017
- Nail Art Rules New York Fashion Week FW’17 Catwalks - February 15, 2017
- Your Guide To Valentine’s Day Kissable Lips - February 6, 2017