Get noticed with a sexy fishtail braid like Leona Lewis‘s or something similar- the less ruly the better! To know how to make the perfect braid you’ll need a few things: products from Ouidad and Goody to name a few.
Tools Of The Trade
If you’ve got some length, lovely, but if not, magic hair it is – said fellow magic hair owner.
To start you’ll need to apply a dime-sized amount of Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel ($23 at Ouidad.com and Ulta.com) to your palm and work through your slightly dampened tresses focused on the middle to the ends. You’ll then need to control the frizzies with a little Ouidad Clear Control Pomade ($27 at Ouidad.com and sephora.com).
Take It Step-By-Step
Next on your list of must’s is to follow the below steps to create a 5-strand braid as laid out by braid guru Melissa Cook of Latest-Hairstyles.com. Cook says, “It’s really just a simple weaving of the hair back and forth in an over under pattern.” We’ll be the judge of that Melissa…
1. Begin by separating the hair into five strands.
2. Starting on the right side, take the two farthest strands and cross the right one over the left.
3. Drop the strand in your right hand and cross the one in your left hand under the next strand on the left.
4. Now drop the strand on the right and cross the original strand over the next one on the left.
5. Then drop that right strand and cross the original strand under the next one on the left.
See the over, under, over method?
Now begin the same steps but working in the opposite direction towards the right side. I’ve asked my model to hold our original strand (which is now the farthest left strand, to keep it out of the way).
6. Holding the furthest left piece out of the way, take the next two strands and cross the strand on the left under the strand on the right.
7. Now cross the strand in your left over over the next strand on the right.
8. Then cross the strand in your left under the farthest right strand.
9. Drop that strand (which is now the furthest strand on the right) and begin working in the opposite direction crossing the right strand under the left one next to it.
10. Then, cross the right strand over the next strand on the left.
11. Now, cross the right strand under the next strand on the left.
12. Continue this weaving, over, under, over, until you get to the bottom of the hair.
And for more braiding viewing pleasure, check out The New Braiding Handbook by Abby Smith (amazon.com)
Hue Knew It? I think Melissa did.
Got a beauty question? Tweet me @HueKnewIt with the hashtag #AskGregorie